Thursday, April 9, 2009

My onstage performance:-

My brother studies in IIT, Kharagpur. He’s in his second year right now. He was
elected as spring fest organiser. So as an organiser he knew about the different events that would take place in it. And he told me about it. When I heard about the karaoke competition I asked him if I could take part in it. He said yes!! I got very excited and asked my dad if I could take part in it, he too agreed. There was no end to my happiness that day. I had always dreamed of going on stage. My brother described the rules to me. And told me that I will have to bring a cd with the song I choose, with its vocals removed.
As I had never sung anywhere before in my life, I thought of under going a little bit of vocal training. And for that it was essential to find a singing teacher. My brother contacted his friends to find out if there was any one who would be interested to teach me. I finally found a teacher. After this whole thing my brother came to me and said that he doesn’t think that I would be able to go up stage and sing, since I am very reserved. When I get nervous seeing new faces then how will I go up on stage and sing. Hearing this I started crying. For about two to three hours I didn’t talk to any one. All I did was cry, cry, and cry a bit more. Finally my brother said that if I learn to sing better with confidence within two months then I should surely go ahead. I agreed. My tutor told me that I shouldn’t rush and that my class will start after a few days since she was busy. After a few days I called her up and told her that I would be going to puri with my family, and since it meant that my class would have to be postponed by another week, would it be possible for me to learn with in 5 weeks. She assured me that there would be no problem as such, so I enjoyed my stay at puri fully relaxed. When I came back my teacher said she has to go to bangalore for some show, so I would have to wait until she comes back. She told me that she would contact me as soon as she would be finished with the show and back to Kolkata. She contacted me 30 days before my fest and told me that she is still not free but is back to Kolkata and will adjust my timing.
My first day of learning singing was not that much of good, as I was nervous. But she told me that I had a good voice and I should keep practising the song and the 7 notes she gave me. I did exactly the same. Next day I choose a song which I decided to sing in the fest it was genie in a bottle originally sung by Christina augleria. My mom kept on insisting me to quit the thought of singing in the fest. She told me that I had a good voice which I should improve before going on stage and for that time and practise is needed. But I stuck to my decision and gave it my best shot with lots and lots of practise each day. As the day neared my dad asked me who would take me to Kharagpur and who would bring me back.
In the end my mom and dad agreed to take me to Kharagpur. I was very happy and excited. I was advised by my friends and teacher to give my vocal cords a little rest before the competition. I did exactly as they had said. We were going by our car. And you won’t believe what happened my dad had forgotten to refill the car with petrol so we had to get it filled up. Let me tell you that I am very much allergic to the smell of petrol and since we had to stop by a petrol station I had to smell the horrible smell which I am allergic to. After this through out the way I went on vomiting. And my head started paining and I felt sick. My condition was a bit better when we reached Kharagpur. The whole of IIT campus seemed to be alive with excited people. It was then when I felt a sort of chill run inside my stomach. But I didn’t let anyone see how tensed I had gotten seeing so many people around. we were informed that the judges hadn’t arrived yet which is why the competition will be delayed by a few hours. Hearing this I felt a little relaxed. And as the competition was delayed we decided to have lunch. I tried to gulp down some food but I was still feeling sick and couldn’t. After this I got my participant card and I was told that I was 11th. But then when I didn’t hear my name being called even after at least 12 performers I got tensed, later on I got to know that as I had got the song track in a pen drive I will have to wait and those participants who have gotten there song in a cd will get to go first. My dad got angry and said we will have to leave by four at least, as it would get dark and impossible to drive in the highway. And then a very strange thing happened, all the non participants were told to move out of the auditorium. My dad got very angry and told me that we should be leaving now, we cannot wait any longer as it had already started to get dark. My mood was turned down, and my dad tried to cheer me up even saying sorry. But I didn’t listen to anyone I kept on crying and saying that I have a bad luck I will never be able to do anything and all the time things keep on happening to me. We were outside the campus and half way out of Kharagpur when I was still crying and something came out of my mouth that shouldn’t have come out. I said even now I am thinking maybe just maybe you guys will take me back but no why should I think like that because you don’t want me to sing or get on stage. Then my dad told our driver to stop the car and take a U turn. Then I said sorry and said that you don’t have to. But my dad didn’t listen to me. Then he told me very calmly that I should go ahead and give my best shot and that they will be waiting for me outside. I tried to get inside the auditorium but the guard stopped me as some big singer was coming to IIT, for which the security was tight. And as I didn’t have my participation card he didn’t let me in. then I called my brother who told the guard that I was a participant and he will have to take me in. I got in, rubbed away the tears from my face, and hurried inside the auditorium. After two people my name was called and I got up on stage with full confidence and started singing. But in between I looked up at the audience and got the chill which is why I messed up two lines but after this I pulled myself together and gave it my full shot. After I ended and started to walk back to my seat among the audience, the audience started to clap and applaud. Though I was not awarded with any trophy which I knew I wouldn’t be but I got the most precious award of all, it was confidence and a sort of satisfaction to have fulfilled my dream. After my performance we slowly drove back home. My family members wished they could hear me sing but any how at least in the end every thing was fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment